The City of Beaconsfield reserves the right not to publish a comment if there is any doubt as to the identity of the author. In addition, the City reserves the right to remove or hide comments that are hateful, disrespectful or rude to others.
Netiquette refers to the conventions for good manners governing the behaviour of Internet users on digital platforms and social media.
1. Objectives for the City of Beaconsfield
As part of an integrated communication strategy, the use of communication tools must be fully justified. The main objectives of the social media and other digital platforms used by the City of Beaconsfield are to provide its residents with information and promote activities, events and major operations within the City.
2. Rules to be respected concerning comment content
- Statements or comments made on the City of Beaconsfield’s social media or digital platforms must pertain to the City’s mission, activities or services.
- Discussions among users must take place in English or in French.
- Any comment, intervention or suggestion must be courteous. The user may not, under any circumstances, use inappropriate or offensive language.
3. Rules for participation
The City of Beaconsfield encourages the exchange of opinions among users. However, it reserves the right to block access to its social media for any user who violates this Netiquette.
Prohibited are any statements that are hateful, defamatory, discriminatory, xenophobic, racist, homophobic, sexist, disparaging, insulting, threatening, coarse, vulgar, crude, offensive or pornographic.
The City of Beaconsfield may choose to not respond to, to modify and will delete the following, without prior notice to the user:
- Any accusation, true or false, made against any person or the City;
- Any comment that is incomprehensible, irrelevant, too long or repetitive;
- Any comment of a commercial, advertising or promotional nature other than those authorized by the City;
- Any comment that contains a sequence of special characters that can be subject to interpretation. In Internet language, the abusive use of uppercase letters is equivalent to shouting and may be interpreted as aggression. Any message containing one or more words in uppercase (except for abbreviations and acronyms) will be deleted;
- Any comment that makes reference to illegal activities, or that encourages the practice of same, or that violates any law, by-law, regulation or government order, or that publicizes information that is false, misleading or illegal, or that promotes illegal behaviour or incites violence;
- Any comment that includes links to inappropriate Web sites or that damages the City’s reputation.
4. Rights of the City of Beaconsfield
The City of Beaconsfield reserves the right to terminate any discussion if it deems it necessary, or to block access to any user who does not respect the rules of conduct set out in this Netiquette.
It also reserves the right to amend this Netiquette at any time.
The City monitors the digital platforms and social media that it administers during its office hours: Monday to Thursday between 8 a.m. and noon, and between 1 p.m. and 4:45 p.m., and on Friday between 8 a.m. and noon, unless otherwise authorized by the Director General.
The City is under no obligation whatsoever to respond to comments from users.
5. Provisions for liability regarding content and copyright
Users must consult the legal notice published on the Web site that supplements this Netiquette.
The City of Beaconsfield makes no representation of any sort regarding any other Web site that a user may access via the City’s Web site.
In regard to these digital platforms, social media or any other related site, the City of Beaconsfield will not, under any circumstances, be liable to any party or for any damage or harm attributable to (including but not limited to) any non-performance, error or omission, or any specific damage or consequential damage, direct or indirect, including but not limited to the loss of benefits, interruption of activities, loss of programs or other data contained in the user’s information management system or stored elsewhere, even if the City is expressly notified of the possibility of such damage.
Users must respect the confidentiality of personal information that could identify a person and the personal nature of any information related to their private life.
Any information or any material sent to the City of Beaconsfield will be deemed to be nonconfidential nature. By publishing such information or material on the City of Beaconsfield’s digital platforms or social media, users grant the City of Beaconsfieldunlimited irrevocable rights of use, reproduction, posting, execution, modification, transmission and distribution of this material or this information, and also agree that the City of Beaconsfield is free to use any concept, idea, know-how or technique that has been communicated to it for any purpose.